Wednesday, May 19, 2010

guest blogging DIY ring

Hey lovely ladies! Today, I’ve prepped a quick tutorial for a DIY ring. I’ve named it the basket weave or Wheaties (the cereal) ring, because of how it looks. It is time consuming, and can be frustrating (trust me) but if you are an avid jewelry collector or crafts enthusiast, I think that this will pique your interest.

What you’ll need:

  • Wire- I used 22 gauge. For this project, you should go with a larger gauge because it’ll be easy to work. And for those who don’t know. As the gauge numbers get larger, the wire becomes thinner. You can pick this up at AC Moore for only 5 dollars for 10 meters. You need less than one for this project. I think.

  • Wire Cutters/Pliers- They sell a 3 in 1, wire cutter/Pliers/ something else at AC Moore.

Instructions-

    1. Firstly, make three rings that are a bit large for your finger.

      Since we’ll be attaching more wire around the rings, they’ll become smaller, naturally.

    2. Now, take a bit of excess wire and tie the three rings together at one end. Splay the other ends out so it looks like this.

    3. This is the really difficult part. Take a small bit of wire. Like 5 inches small. You don’t want to work with too much at once. Now, start weaving the wire in the ring. Don’t worry about tying off ends b/c if you kinda just bend the ends a bit, they will stay. Don’t worry if it’s not flat or even or even close to each other. Use the pliers to bend and control it into shape. Here’s what mine looks like right now. It’s mostly trial and error.

    4. Finish it off and the more imperfect, the better. If you want to be really creative, make the ring base one color and the weave another.

- I hope that you ladies liked my quick tut. Toodles for now!


Check out her blog here

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, that ring is really stunning. It looks like it took ages! I'll have to give it a go soon. :)


    I've just followed your blog, I hate advertising on comments, but I'm just starting out myself and I want it to put on my UCAS application when I apply for fashion courses in September, it'd be really good if you could follow mine too or at least take a look, thanks. :)
    www.colours-and-curves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete